RSCO Feature: Black Students for Unity

Bella Lee, Staff writer

Are you passionate about Black Lives Matter and similar movements? Do you want to make your voice heard on these matters? Do you want to help change the world? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then Black Students for Unity, or BSU, is the perfect club for you. Anyone on campus, regardless of race, can join this club. If they consider themselves an ally of the movement, they are more than welcome to join.

“BSU provides a safe space for students to discuss issues concern-ing race and other areas of social justice,” said Vydalia Weatherly, sophomore Political Science and Criminal Justice double major and treasurer of the club.

BSU has made its impact on campus in recent years. Last year, the club organized their first Mercy March, with speakers, signs, and moments of silence to remember those lost to police brutality. This event got a tremendous turnout, with over 400 students and staff in attendance, and BSU plans on doing it again. “BSU has a busy year planned,” said Weatherly. “On Sept. 9th, BSU will kick off the year with our first meeting. Anyone who attends will have the opportunity to make an inspiration board.

Later on in the month, on Monday, Sept. 20 will we have our second annual Mercy March. We plan to have several speakers take part in this worthwhile event. The club was excited to see the large turnout of students and faculty that took part in last year’s march. BSU hopes to have even more people take part in this incredible event this year.

”BSU is already planning ahead on what they want to do not only this semester but next semester as well. “Additionally, throughout the year, BSU will put on many educational presentations including the topics of Juneteenth and various music genres,” said Weatherly.

“During the spring semester, we will be hosting our annual game of Family Feud as well, which always brings out a large crowd.”The first meeting of BSU will be held on Sept. 9 for anyone that is interested. “BSU is planning on meeting in Hirt 212,” said Weatherly. “We will send out an email in advance if the meeting location does change. Our club will be meeting every other Thursday this year. If we are planning a special event, BSU will meet on alternative Thursdays, to ensure the event is a success.”The popularity of BSU has increased exponentially in recent years, thanks to events like the Mercy March that raise awareness of important issues in the country. Be sure to reach out if you are interested in joining BSU, and keep Sept. 20 marked on your calendars for the second annual Mercy March!