New at Hurst: Abigail Whitman

Bella Lee, Staff writer

The D’Angelo Performing Arts Center has become a home for many artistically inclined students on campus. For almost thirty years, the D’Angelo has housed various students with many talents in music, dance, and theater and of the many students who have come and gone over the years, Mercyhurst is thrilled to welcome back one of D’Angelo’s recent alumni Abigail Whitman.

Whitman currently works on campus as the Front of House Manager, helping with public safety and organization for the events happening on campus. Her time away from campus has not been long, as she is a graduate of the Class of 2020. Graduating with a B.M in Music Therapy, Whitman is no stranger to the performing arts. “My music concentrations were in piano and voice and I also had theatre and art therapy minors,” said Whitman. During her undergraduate experience, Whitman was a music therapy intern at Harborcreek Youth Services in trauma-based work using songwriting and music lessons to reach the emotional and behavioral goals of the clients.

Whitman is currently juggling higher education studies while doing her work on campus. Other than her job on campus, she is currently a graduate student at Goddard College which is based in Plainfield, Vermont. At Goddard, Whitman is pursuing an M.A in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with a concentration in Expressive Art Therapy. “The arts have been an essential part of my life and I want to use the arts to empower my clients in my work focusing on trauma care, social justice, and equality,” said Whitman.

Students can usually find Whitman in the Performing Arts Center, where she helps take care of MIAC events and most recently the Presidential Inauguration. This is also a space where she frequently came to as a student. “As a student, I was involved in the theatre program,” Whitman said, “I made my lifelong friends in the theatre department and developed pivotal skills that shaped me as an individual and therapist. Being a part of the productions was the most rewarding and fun part of my life. I came back to Mercyhurst because I wanted to work promoting the arts in the Erie community,” Whitman said. “It feels like coming back home when I come to work. My favorite part about working at Mercyhurst is the community.”

Whitman is more than happy to meet students, both old and new, so be sure to visit her office in the PAC office suite if you want to say hello!.