Mercyhurst Made: One Year Later

With the rising popularity of podcasts, Mercyhurst decided to join the fun last fall with the launch of the school’s official podcast, Mercyhurst Made. The podcast is focused on exploring the legacy of Mercyhurst through interviews with students, staff, alumni and others who have been impacted by the culture of Mercyhurst. Mercyhurst Made features a wide variety of guests and topics, but each episode is connected with the love and passion for Mercyhurst and our core values.

In the fall of 2020, then Associate Vice President for Advancement, Ryan Palm, developed the concept of the podcast that eventually developed into the interview style format we have today. Although Palm began hosting the podcast, he moved on from Mercyhurst and left the show in good hands. Now, Mitchell Marsh of the Division of Advancement hosts the show.

Marsh, who graduated from Mercyhurst in 2020, is the voice of each new episode where he can be heard diving deep into stories from different areas of the Mercyhurst community. When asked how guests are selected to be featured on the show, Marsh commented that any Mercyhurst community member can be selected, and the show often receives suggestions from listeners about what they want to hear.

Although Marsh is currently the host of Mercyhurst Made, he reveals that “there may be more hosts down the line as the podcast expands,” giving more Lakers an opportunity to be involved in the growing project.

Marsh discussed one of his favorite episodes where he got the chance to chat with Hazel Jennings and her career at Instagram over the past several years following her graduation from the ‘Hurst. Like most episodes, Marsh asks a variety of questions about the guest’s experience and involvement at Mercyhurst, where they are today and how the Laker life has impacted them. Listening to the show allows students to learn about the many different areas that a Mercyhurst degree can take them and provides inspiration about post-graduation options.

Another recent guest on the Mercyhurst Made podcast was Marina Boyle, a former international student who graduated this past spring as the Carpe Diem award recipient. This particular episode opens with the speech that Boyle delivered at the Class of 2021 graduation and then dives into her experience on campus within different clubs, the contract major she constructed and her future plans. Marsh also asks Boyle about her experience as the Editor in Chief of the Merciad, so this episode certainly hits close to home for us at the paper.

Other episodes feature guests including Joe Howard, Lucy Belleau, Brad Davis, Brett Johnson, Bethany Woods and Exit 44 and Boho_Basement.

Marsh revealed that the podcast hopes to be launching season two soon, but in the meantime there are 19 episodes available to listen to.

Mercyhurst Made can be streamed on your favorite podcast platforms including Spotify and Apple Podcasts, so make sure to give it a listen and contact Marsh if you would like to be featured on a future episode to share your love for Mercyhurst. We look forward to hearing the next set of guests and what they have to share about the Laker community.