New at Hurst: Katie Neely

Maiya Florence-Harding, Staff writer

We are very fortunate to introduce our new Leadership and Outreach coordinator, Katie Neely. From Titusville, PA, Katie attended Slippery Rock University for her undergraduate degree, majoring in Sport Management with a minor in Business Administration. She decided to further her education and earned her Master’s in Recreation and Sports Administration with a concentration in Coaching from Western Kentucky University. Since then, she has interned at the Florida High School Athletic Association. She got to travel to the state planning state championships. She has also worked as the Assistant Volleyball Coach at the University of Pittsburgh at Titusville and the Program Director for Clarion County YMCA.

When asked about why she applied to her position Neely said, “The university [Mercyhurst] has similar core values and I want to help students be the best versions of themselves.” Neely’s well-rounded, adventurous nature suits her position here at Mercyhurst. Although she has many tasks, one includes overseeing the Leadership Development Program (LDP). LDP is a three-level program that develops connections for students while helping them discover their leadership style and skills through a variety of workshops, breakout sessions, and more.

In addition to helping turn students into leaders, Neely also coordinates all Recognized Student Clubs/Organizations (RSCOs) and helps advisors and students with the process as needed. She is also in charge of overseeing the Laker Leaders. Laker Leaders are an important part of Mercyhurst as they help freshmen transition to college life, and help to teach them to exemplify Mercyhurst’s values. They assist with orientation, campus events and Introduction to Mercyhurst (iMU) classes. In addition to all of her other roles, Neely will also be facilitating an IMU-102 this Spring. With registration coming up, be sure to look out for her course. Since she is new to campus, too, she has a unique perspective that could make new students feel even more welcomed here.

In her free time, Katie enjoys spending time with her friends, family and boyfriend. She loves exploring local restaurants, spending time outside and going to sporting events. If you see her around campus, make her feel welcome by recommending your favorite local restaurants or parks for her to check out and get a feel for Erie. If you happen to be in the Student Union feel free to stop by and say hello, and welcome her to Mercyhurst!