Parkhurst Gears up for a festive Thanksgiving Feast

Hannah Brooks, Staff writer

In what seems to have all occurred within the blink of an eye – the fall semester is beginning to wrap up, snow is starting to fall in the city of Erie and the holidays are no longer just approaching; the season is now.

As the year wraps up and is headed into another cheery season to end what has been a very long year. And what better way to wrap up this year with a festive, themed dinner right here at Mercyhurst? Parkhurst Dining will be hosting its annual Thanksgiving dinner for students on Thursday, Nov. 18. Since it is one of the biggest themed dinners that Parkhurst puts on all year, it is certainly one you won’t want to miss out on.

The tradition of Parkhurst’s Thanksgiving is going into its twelfth year. The tradition started back in 2009 when Parkhurst Dining started doing food service at Mercyhurst, according to Arthur Catrow, Parkhurst’s Chef de Cuisine. Catrow says that the dinner has evolved greatly since it first began back in 2009. The dinner boasts many traditional Thanksgiving staples, such as turkey (arguably the main feature of Thanksgiving), stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, gravy, root vegetables, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce and dinner rolls. There will also be a southern focus at one of the stations offered, which will include homestyle favorites such as slowcooked greens, baked macaroni and cheese, bourbon-glazed ham, black-eyed peas, cornbread and deviled eggs.

While your mouth is already watering at the mention of these homestyle foods – don’t deny it – the desserts are going to have you in a rush to be first in line as soon as the food starts being served. The food is delicious and lots of hard work goes into planning the meal. According to Catrow, there is a lot of planning involved, as well as ordering the products, preparing and executing the dinner. He says that the entire process takes about three to four weeks total. He adds, however, that although there is a lot of work that goes into this dinner, it is very rewarding and the end result makes it all worth it. “It is very detailed, time-consuming and logistically challenging, but it is also very rewarding to the soul. What better way to feel accomplished than by providing a delicious, well-planned and well-received meal that brings joy to everyone involved,” said Catrow.

Parkhurst’s Thanksgiving Dinner will take place in both the Grotto Commons and Ryan Hall’s 501 Grill. There will be a plethora of stations with a multitude of delicious foods for students to choose from. The Parkhurst staff puts a lot of work into this well-loved and respected Mercyhurst tradition. Make sure you come out to support the staff in their efforts to prepare a delicious meal for the students and faculty of Mercyhurst University. Besides, what better way is there to wrap up a semester than with a hearty meal with your friends?