RSCO Feature: Running Club

Samantha Weber, Editor-in-chief

Are you tired of constantly doing schoolwork all day? Are you looking for a great way to be active and get outside? Well, if you answered yes to those two questions, then you should check out the Running Club! Mercyhurst is fortunate to be able to offer a wide variety of clubs for students to be a part of. Do not worry if you are not the best runner in the world, anyone is encouraged to join.

“We welcome runners, joggers, and walkers! There is a space for everyone, no one goes alone! There is always someone to run, jog, or walk with. We meet once a week. Currently, we are completing a two-mile loop, and often meet for core workouts,” said club president, senior Early Childhood/Special Education major Alexis Bell. If you are worried about not being able to keep up with the rest of the group, do not worry as they split up into three separate groups to try and ensure everyone is comfortable with the pace they are going. It is perfectly acceptable to walk the entire time at a running club because the whole point of the club is to not run, but it is to get to know more people while getting outdoors and away from schoolwork.

In addition to walking and distance running, the club also offers other exciting activities for members. “We often have relay races, and this is my favorite part,” said Bell. For the rest of this semester, the club has some exciting plans as the weather will hopefully start to get nicer. “We plan on continuing to meet once a week and trying out some different routes to run, walk, and jog. We plan on more core workouts in the REC coming up and hoping for some warmer weather to get some more runs in,” said Bell. Additionally, the club would love to start having runs at Presque Isle once the weather becomes warmer. Bell said, “My favorite thing about the club is all of the wonderful members involved. We all have so much to talk about. It makes the running part easy! It is fun to meet new people and do something I love. Running is something I have loved doing since I was 7, and it’s amazing to have the opportunity to share it with others as well!”

Bell talks about what she hopes students gain from the club, “In general, we hope that students are able to let out some stress in our club. This is such a good time to talk to some new people while doing something fun! This is a time to get away from schoolwork and get involved.” With spring finally beginning to bloom after a long and snowy winter, the running club is a fantastic way to not only get moving but also get out and enjoy the weather! In addition to the nice weather, exercise also has a tremendous number of positive effects, including stress relief. This club is one that all students could benefit from.

Regardless of your level of experience with running, or even if you choose to walk, there is no doubt that you will be able to enjoy the running club. The club is always welcoming new members, so if you are interested reach out to Alexis Bell or join the team on Laker LaunchPad.