Hurst senior class hosts successful auction

Hannah Brooks, Features editor

As the spring semester starts to come to an end, not only will classes end for some of us soon, some Lakers are gearing up for life beyond the gates. As the television lights up in the Academic Center for Engagement, as of today, there are less than fifty days until seniors will graduate. To prepare for a way to make their mark for this year and many more to come, the Senior Class Gift Committee has been raising money for a renewable scholarship. The Senior Class Gift Committee hosted its annual date auction on Wednesday, March 23.

The Instagram page @hurstclassgift, explained the way in which the auction worked. Those in attendance were to bid on dates with different students. Bidding went on until a winner was announced for each date. In addition to dates, many different items were also up for bidding. Hannah O’Brien, senior Integrated Media and Strategic Communication major, is the social media chair for the Class Gift Committee this year. “This year, the Senior Class Gift Committee is raising money for a renewable scholarship. The committee does this through various events held on campus throughout the year,” said O’Brien. “The Patricia Jaskiewicz Scholarship honors Mercyhurst receptionist Patricia ‘Trish’ Jaskiewicz, who embodies the Mercyhurst spirit of community and exudes the Mercyhurst core values of com-passionately hospitable and socially merciful.”

O’Brien added that the date auction was a success, raising over $4,000, with over one hundred students in attendance. “We auctioned off over thirty items at the event, which included 14 reserved seats at graduation, lunch for five with President Getz, graduation portrait packages with student photographers, local restaurant gift cards and much more,” said O’Brien. “Students who attended were able to bid on items to win.”

If you could not attend, you still have the opportunity to help out the cause. O’Brien explained that the committee still has up-coming events planned for April for anybody who was not able to make the auction.Upcoming events include a bingo night on Friday, April 8, and Pitchfest, a bar crawl for students who are older than 21, on Wednesday, April 20. Be sure to follow @hurstclass-gift on Instagram for more information about these events and more!