Classes posted too late

Caitlyn Lear, New editor

Every year, the school goes through the same process: classes are put online, people scramble to figure out their schedule before meeting with advisers, and then they schedule their courses.

It seems like each year, the classes get put up later and later.

That may be just me being anxious to schedule my last semester of classes, or the fact that the classes are being made available later.

Now, I do understand that scheduling classes so they do not conflict or book the same room can be complicated.

Plus with the amount of students increasing, more and more classes are needed, only adding to the pile.

At the same time, classes do not change much year to year, but our schedules change a lot.

Students have jobs, both on and off campus, internships, clubs, service hours, etc.

Our daily lives depend on our class schedule, yet we have to wait until halfway through the semester to try and determine what that schedule might be.

Luckily for me, I am in my last semester and I only have four classes to schedule, so it is not that hard to figure things out.

But when two of my classes are at the same time, I have to scramble to try and find that last class to fill in and make sure I am at 12 credits for the semester.

Some people are still trying to get all their classes in line for the REACH curriculum, as well as their major or minor, just in order to graduate on time.

And the longer they have to wait to find out when the classes are scheduled, the more scrambling they have to do later.

As fun as building the puzzle of a schedule can be, trying to do that between a full load of classes and my two jobs can be exhausting.

And when something goes wrong, trying to run around and fix it is even more time spent not on homework.

When you think it can’t get any worse, it does.

This year, the scheduling is now done on Student Planning instead of WebAdvisor.

I learned how it all works last year, so it was pretty easy to navigate, but that might not be true for everyone.

Unless you can make it to one of the meetings where they teach you how to use it or your adviser can show you, that’s just the icing on the worst birthday cake ever.

The only good thing now is that we get a day without classes, where at least some of us will spend catching up on homework anyway.