New at Hurst: Robert Gibson

Rebecca Dunphy

Robert Gibson joined the Mercyhurst community this semester as adjunct faculty for the Communication department.

Rebecca Dunphy, Staff writer

This semester, Mercyhurst University welcomed Robert Gibson, adjunct faculty for the Communication department. He is currently teaching Digital Video Production I.

Gibson brings 20 years of experience in the video production field to the program, allowing him to share his firsthand experiences with students.

After receiving a degree from Edinboro University in Speech and Communication Studies with an emphasis in media, Gibson was employed in Erie at the ABC affiliate WJET-TV and the NBC affiliate WICU-TV, before joining WTAE-TV in Pittsburgh. At the time of his employment, the Pittsburgh station was ranked 19th largest in the country.

Years later, he returned to Erie as a writer and producer for WICU-TV News before attaining a position at GECAC, where he counseled students in the post-secondary education process. Cuts in federal funding for this program prompted him to pursue the creation of Gibson Media.

Gibson Media provides commercial production and media creation for local businesses to increase their online presence. The business also provides videography services for a variety of local events.

Gibson continues to operate the company today, giving him a modern understanding of the industry, which he shares with students.

“Many of the skills I bring to the classroom are also practiced in the business,” said Gibson. “Most of the equipment I have chosen for use in my business is also being used by Mercyhurst University, so students get the opportunity to use current equipment and current methods.”

He hopes to use his years of experience to help give students a modern understanding of the industry.

“The opportunity for students at Mercyhurst is awesome. Video production is a fast-moving technology-driven industry. Students get to use state-of-the-art video switchers, pro broadcast cameras and green screen technology. We even have fleet of cameras for field production,” Gibson said.

Gibson thoroughly enjoys having the opportunity to share his experiences during class.

“I really look forward to class days,” said Gibson. “The students are really good listeners. They are awesome kids and we have really positive interactions during class.”