How to: Fight midterm despair

Lauren Rogus, Staff writer

It is that time of year again, Lakers — the time when students and professors alike begin to realize that the end of the year is readily approaching.

It seems to get harder to get up for 8 a.m. classes and even harder not to binge-watch Netflix the entire night. Some Lakers have found a way to beat this time of year by doing a variety of routines and practices.

Morgan Wangler, a senior double major in Early Childhood and Special Education, has not felt “senioritis” yet, as she is student teaching — a fairly significant change in routine for this semester. The change from learning in a classroom to teaching in a classroom has kept her alert and on top of her work.

“The thought of graduating in May doesn’t feel real. I can’t believe it is coming so soon,” Wangler said.

Wangler seems to be preventing senioritis very well. There are students in other years, however, who are facing the difficulties brought with mid-semester.

Sophomore Lauren Golonka and freshman Joanne Pringle, both double majors in Early Childhood and Special Education, feel that it is getting harder to concentrate.
Golonka has been struggling to fight off procrastination and exhaustion.

“I give into the sophomore slump,” Golonka said.

Golonka is not alone in her struggles. Pringle and other students are also fighting the stress.

“When I feel the freshman funk, I go home,” Pringle said.

Some students, however, have found ways to avoid the freshman funk, sophomore slump, junior jam and senioritis by simply sticking to a routine.

Nicole Rudnicki, sophomore double major in Early Childhood and Special Education, transferred to Mercyhurst and has found that loving her major helps motivate her studies.

“Being in a major I care about makes it easier to care,” said Rudnicki. “Knowing what to expect more by having the professors last semester (and) getting into a routine helps to prevent getting off topic.”

The experience that Rudnicki had helped her avoid sophomore slump.

Joel Basenback, freshman Biology major, makes sure he gets enough sleep. By not staying up late and waking up early the next day, he is able to avoid being stuck in the freshman funk.

Basenback also tries to get his homework done early in the morning, allowing him more free time in the evening to rest and go to bed early.

Meghan Komendarek, freshman double major in Early Childhood and Special Education, keeps herself busy.

“The best way to avoid the freshman funk is staying busy with sports and keeping time for school work,” Komendarek said.

Gabrielle Feig and Sonya Jones, junior Anthropology majors, try to stay away from their apartment when they are having trouble finding motivation. Trying to study is much easier if they are out and about rather than on their bed taking a nap.

The Hammermill Library, the Grotto Commons and the Mercyhurst Bookstore are all awesome places to go for quality study time.

Erin Jenkins, junior Art Therapy and Art Education double major, said that trying to stay involved and focusing on good things and the future keep her going.

As a consensus, students identified their favorite homework-alternative activities to be online shopping, binge-watching Netflix, YouTube or TV, participating in campus activities and working out, whether for a sports team or simply to avoid doing work.

It is good to know, however, that not all Lakers have checked out for the semester. Try to support fellow students throughout the end of this semester.