Hurst prepares for Giving Day

Marina Boyle, Staff writer

Giving Day is a one-day online fundraising drive that supports Mercyhurst University through donor contributions. Giving Day will take place this year on May 1, with a goal of 400 donors and $40,000 raised in 24 hours.

This year marks the fourth annual Giving Day, where Mercyhurst will ask alumni, parents, employees, friends and even students to come together in support of the Mercyhurst Annual Fund. The fund supports the greatest needs, focusing on scholarships, technology and academic improvements, arts/culture, athletics and more, all of which comes under the school’s operational budget.

The day is special because of a group of trustees who will match contributions up to $40,000, making each gift worth double. As well as online giving, there are stations around campus during the lunch hour to give in person and raise awareness about the event.

Lindsay Frank, director of Alumni Engagement, handles much of the preparation for this initiative.

“Giving Day is so important because it reminds us that our donors are people who believe in Mercyhurst, who believe in giving back and believe in helping to make a difference in students’ lives,” said Frank. “It is something that makes me feel so proud each year, to follow the numbers online at givingday.mercyhurst.edu and see the tremendous support that we have coming in.”

Megan Stubbs, senior Applied Forensic Science major, manages phone contributions on the day as Phonathon supervisor.

“I have done Giving Day every year since my freshman year and love watching our students come together to raise money for the university,” said Stubbs. “It is wonderful to see how excited the community gets on this day and how wonderful they have all been in helping us reach our goals in the past.”

The faculty senates on both the Erie and North East campuses will battle the staff senates of both campuses on Giving Day for the best percentage of donors. The winning team will receive a celebratory party at their next meeting for their impressive efforts.

Staff Senate President Travis Lindahl is excited to get involved, and hopefully take the win.

“As an alum and an employee, I owe a great deal to Mercyhurst,” said Lindahl. “The university provided me with a great education, allows me to provide for my family and is where I see many of those I consider great friends on a daily basis. To focus our efforts on this one day is very exciting. For it to be a competition adds some extra incentive, as bragging rights between the faculty and staff/administration will be on the line.”

Faculty Senate President Gerry Tobin, Ph.D., responded to the lively competition by saying, “Mercyhurst is worth all that we donate in resources of money, time, energy, emotion, care and faith. The added bonus this year is beating Travis.”

As well as faculty and staff, others are also welcome to get involved and get excited about the day. While May 1 targets alumni, parents and friends, truly anyone can participate and have their contribution matched. As well as giving, students can spread the word on social media with a #hurstgivingday hashtag.