Mercyhurst alumnus named manager for Mercy communication

Shannon Gotham, Staff writer

Mercyhurst alumnus Jeremy Dickey has been promoted to the role of Communications Manager at the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas. In this position, he will oversee communications for the Sisters of Mercy, including their social justice causes and new membership offices.

Dickey graduated from Mercyhurst University only five years ago. He then completed a master’s degree in Public Relations at the University of the Arts, London.
Upon returning to the U.S., he started a career with the Sisters. He later left to do public sector work, and he is now returning to a role with the Sisters once more.

Dickey’s success is inspiring and provokes many questions about his path to success so quickly after graduation.

“My career experiences up until this point have really helped to make me a well-rounded communications practitioner,” Dickey said.

Dickey has previously worked with nongovernmental organizations such as Doctors Without Borders as a press intern.

He also worked as the Marketing Coordinator for the Sisters of Mercy from 2014 to 2017, where he was able to hone in on his digital communications expertise and learn about the core mission of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas.

He has most recently served as the Communications Specialist for the City of Takoma Park, Maryland, which was media relations heavy.
His new role will involve more writing and strategic communications planning, but Dickey says his experience in different areas of his field has helped him in earning the Communications Manager position.

Dickey also credits Mercyhurst for his success in his career. “I graduated from Mercyhurst with a bachelor’s in Political Science. I credit my passion for social justice causes with the classes I took and the work I did while at Mercyhurst,” Dickey said.

He also said that it didn’t hurt to graduate from a Sisters of Mercy-founded university, which gave him knowledge of the Sisters’ work before he even had his job there.

In terms of advice for current students and those beginning to think about entering the workforce after college, Dickey had lots of advice.
“Don’t be afraid of taking chances or opportunities that come your way, even if they don’t fit into your overall life plan,” Dickey said.

Dickey said that as a college student, working for the Sisters of Mercy was never something on his radar, particularly with his Political Science degree.

“When I was at Mercyhurst, working for the Sisters of Mercy was never a thought that crossed my mind, but I’m so glad that I am here working with them,” he said.
Dickey also spoke on the topic of having a professional reputation and leaving a lasting mark on every professional endeavor.
“Some of the best advice I ever received from professors and staff at Mercyhurst was to never leave a job, internship or any other place on bad terms,” Dickey said. “Every career move you have is difficult, but leaving on good terms and with good references is critical.”

Dickey was also a highly involved student on campus, which he feels contributed to his success in a career after college.
He served on the Mercyhurst Student Government as Public Relations Coordinator from 2011 to 2013, as well as working in leadership roles with various on campus clubs.
In addition, he did marketing and public relations work for his Senior Class Gift Committee and served as a Mercyhurst Ambassador.

Dickey is particularly looking forward to the new job for its alignment with his social views and its variety and scope.

Most of all, Dickey looks forward to reconnecting with many of the Sisters who he worked with until 2017, as well as the new staff he will grow to meet.
In Dickey’s eyes, the Sisters of Mercy are central to why he took this job. “The Sisters are some of the most amazing women I have ever met,” Dickey said. “Their passion, commitment and unwavering grit are so awe-inspiring.”

He is excited to work in a field that he is passionate about and in an environment full of hard-working individuals.

Dickey formally began his new position Sept. 10 in Silver Spring, Maryland. He told the Merciad he is most excited to help the legacy of the Sisters live on.
“I look forward to helping tell the story of the Sisters’ efforts in championing change and equality,” he said.