Nominations open for Alumni Awards

Marina Boyle, Features Editor

Nominations are now open for Distinguished Alumni Awards.

These awards are accolades presented to Mercyhurst alumni who have made outstanding contributions to Mercyhurst and beyond the gates following their graduation.

The portal to nominate a graduate or suggest a candidate is open on the Mercyhurst website and will close on Dec. 31 of this year. Award recipients are announced in the spring term and presented their award during Reunion Weekend in June.

Since 1968, Mercyhurst has presented this achievement award to recognize graduate achievements in a chosen field, service to Mercyhurst University or service to the community.

In 1993, Mercyhurst chose to introduce the Outstanding Young Alumni Award. This was established to recognize the achievements of alumni who graduated less than 15 years ago, and are excelling in their chosen path.

In 1997, an award was established to recognize exemplary contributions made by a graduate. The award was named and created in memory of Sister Carolyn Herrmann, a 1980 Distinguished Alumni Award winner.

This award is rarely conferred and not granted each year, and therefore must be tied with an exceptional or extraordinary alumnus achievement.

Director of Alumni Engagement Lindsay Frank oversees the planning of this award program.

“The Distinguished Alumni Awards are important because they allow the university to honor and celebrate the amazing achievements of our alumni, whether in their career, through their service to their community or even through their service to Mercyhurst. Past winners include such an array of people and each have their own personal story and triumph,” Frank said.

Past winners are listed on a large plaque in Old Main, and all students can see a full list there.

“I encourage students to stop by the display in Old Main to read the names of past recipients and to find a short biography of our recipients from 2018,” said Frank.

Names which some current students will recognize include 1982 award winner Sister Eustace Taylor and 2018 award recipient Sister Lisa Mary McCartney, who is still contributing to the university through her work.

Criteria for nominations are tied to the mission statement of the university and how a candidate has exemplified Mercyhurst core values. The selection process consists of a letter and informational sheet mailed to nominees from the Office of Alumni Relations, initial screening, review by the alumni board selection committee, the final vote at a spring meeting and the presentation of accolades in June.

Anyone who wishes to submit a nomination can do so online or contact Frank in Egan 212.