Habitat announces spring trip

Marina Boyle, Features editor

Mercyhurst’s Habitat for Humanity Club has announced the location of its annual spring break trip this week.

The club will travel to Birmingham, Alabama, over break to spend a week with a family in need. This location is highly anticipated each year for those who plan to devote their break to service.

This year marks the first time in three years that Habitat for Humanity Club will be leaving North Carolina and traveling to a new state to build a house in one week for a family in need. While the drive will be slightly longer, many club members are looking forward to the drive south to escape the snow.

Applications will open on Dec. 5 at 8 a.m. in the Campus Ministry lounge. With only 12 spots available, the trip is always competitive.

Club president Morgan Stacey urges those interested to consider the benefits of the trip and get applications in as quickly as possible.

“The Habitat for Humanity spring break trip is a great alternative to spending your spring break at home with not much to do. The trip is an awesome opportunity to meet new people and make new friends, go to new places and serve people in different communities. It is definitely a worthwhile experience, and you’ll never regret giving back,” Stacey said.

For anybody interested, signups take place from 8 a.m. until the trip is full by providing your name and a $50 deposit to secure your spot. The remainder of the payment, an additional $175, can be paid any time between Dec. 5 and the trip in March.

The cost includes transportation to Alabama, the provided accommodation and meals, as well as recreational activities. The trip will take place March 6-10, with four days of building and one relaxation day where students will be free to explore the city of Birmingham or attend a local sports game. While the trip is demanding physically, there are plenty of rest periods.

Junior Political Science major Logan Ford traveled to Monroe County, North Carolina, with Habitat for Humanity last year.

“The trip was an unforgettable experience. It is one of those rare opportunities to really bond with people outside of your year and major while taking part in something bigger than any single person involved,” Ford said.

He is one of the Habitat veterans who hopes to return this year.

Another student with similar ambitions is sophomore Intelligence Studies major Julia Wrest.

“Habitat for Humanity was a great way to make new friends while volunteering for a great cause. It is an outstanding organization that focuses on giving back to the community, and it was really amazing to be able to help build a home for deserving people. They, in turn, are very appreciative of all that the volunteers do for them,” Wrest said.

Students generally complete an entire house or do other tear-down and building work as designated by the local community. Students often get to meet the family they are helping, which makes the experience particularly meaningful.

Scholarships are available for those who may struggle with the expense of the trip. Any questions can be directed to president Stacey or club adviser, Jeremy Hewitt.