RSCO Feature: Public Health Club

Katy Vaccariello, Staff writer

Continuing the campus club spotlight, this week we offer an insight into the world of the Public Health Club. At the head of the club is Katie Reisinger, a senior dual major in Public Health and Environmental Science.

The main goal of the club is to improve the quality of life for individuals through community service and partnership. This engagement encourages students to reflect on themselves as fellow community members. The students involved with the club engage in public health activities in and around the Erie area.

“People should come check out Public Health Club if they are looking to serve the community through enjoyable volunteer opportunities,” Reisinger said. “We always have tasty snacks and something you can take away from the meetings, as well as being open to new members. You do not have to be a Public Health major to get involved.”

Other members helping Reisinger to run a successful club include vice president Hannah Buncher, secretary Lauren Wychowski and treasurer Elizabeth Becker. The faculty adviser for the club is Lucy Thairu, Ph.D., an assistant professor of Public Health.

When asked about her participation in Public Health club, Buncher, a sophomore dual major in Biology and Public Health, said, “My favorite part of being a member of the Public Health Club is that I get the chance to be involved in many different activities that benefit both the Mercyhurst and Erie communities.”

One such activity was creating personal kits for emergency preparedness and learning to prepare for the unexpected. In the fall, the club created a trick-or-treat event to raise money for the House of Mercy and made fall cards for children at Shriners Hospital.

“Volunteering is a big part of who we are,” Reisinger said. “We previously volunteered at the Second Harvest Food Bank, Pennsylvania Soldiers’ & Sailors’ Home, Salvation Army, Special Olympics and even did an Earth Day cleanup.”

As the club continues to grow from its creation in 2011, there are many activities planned for the future. Each meeting works to inform students on a new topic in a fun and creative way. Future meetings are left open to new ideas from the club.

For those interested in checking out Public Health Club, the next meeting is Feb. 19. The club members will be discussing healthy relationships, eating fondue and making Valentine’s cards for the Mercy Center for Women.

As a parting word, Reisinger hopes to point out the benefits of this RSCO.

“Over the past four years, Public Health Club has given me great friends and experiences I will cherish forever. I encourage everyone to come out and give it a try,” she said.