RSCO Feature: Psychology Club

Jordan Kessler, Staff writer

This week’s issue of The Merciad features the Psychology Club. The Psychology Club’s mission is to promote high standards among the Psychology department’s students in order to encourage growth in their careers and learning.

Additionally, the club provides opportunities for members to get involved with faculty and professional members of the psychology field.

Robert Hoff, Ph.D., is the current adviser for Psychology Club. In addition to being the adviser, Hoff is also a member of the Mercyhurst University honors faculty, representing the Psychology department on campus.

The current board members for the club have just been recently elected at the end of March. The president is junior Julia Detota, and the vice president is junior Quinn Cooley. The social media coordinator is junior Tyler Decosse. The secretary and treasurer positions are being held by sophomore Sydney Zajac.

“Psychology Club is great because the people who run the club are really awesome and try to make the club as fun as possible,” Zajac said.

The Psychology Club has been a part of the Mercyhurst community for several years. Past events have included off-campus trips to Skyzone, destress events, pizza socials and more.
“At many meetings, we have free food such as pizza or Moe’s,” Zajac said.

They also participate in the Mercyhurst Involvement Fair at the start of each school year. In addition to these events, the club hosts holiday parties for Halloween, Christmas, Valentine’s Day and St. Patrick’s Day each year.

Senior Psychology Club member Alyssa Kerns has been a part of this club her entire time at Mercyhurst.
When asked about her favorite part, she had much to say.

“My personal favorite event was Noodle Night where we got to eat and paint noodles. It was a nice and creative outlet, and who doesn’t love pasta?” Kerns said.

She remembers painting ornaments at the Christmas parties and dressing up for Halloween each year.
In the next school year, students can expect similar events such as holiday parties, pizza socials and off-campus trips. This club is a fun way to get involved on campus and to meet new people with the same interests as you.

For more information on the Mercyhurst Psychology Club, students can visit their Facebook or Instagram page at @mercyhurstpsychology.