NEW at HURST

Karrah Savage, Contributing writer

Let’s give a warm welcome to the newest member of the Public Health Department at Mercyhurst University, Megan Ferri Ph.D.
Ferri is originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and her favorite hobby is aviation.

She completed her undergraduate degree at Washington and Jefferson College as well as the University of Hawaii at Manoa.
From there she went on to receive an MPH at Nova Southeastern University’s Medical School and then completed medical school at LECOM’s Bradenton Campus.

Ferri’s area of specialization is public health, prevention medicine and family medicine and she currently works as a Medical Informatics Consultant Physician in addition to being a professor of Foundations of Public Health, Health Education and Global Health.
Her favorite part about Mercyhurst is the community feel, saying it reminds her of her own memories made within her undergrad days.
Her advice to incoming freshman is to enjoy it!

“Appreciate the friends and the experiences you have here because before you know it, it will be over and you will be living in the real world,” Ferri said.

“Also, for any freshmen reading this that are thinking about going to medical school, seriously consider a public health major or minor. Public health concepts are vital to medicine. If I could go back in time and do it over again, I would choose public health as my undergrad major,” Ferri said.

As far as advice for graduating seniors, in short; don’t stress.

“You are about to embark on a totally new stage in your life whether it’s a job search, new job or graduate school. It is an incredibly exciting time but can also be very stressful. Do your best to not stress out over things that are out of your control,” Ferri said. She is full of advice for Mercyhurst students.

Ferri is a professor with passion and the skillset to help many students especially those interested in a career in the medical field. Welcome to Mercyhurst!