Staff wears jeans for a cause

Maria Williams, Features editor

Students may see their favorite professor wearing Mercyhurst gear and jeans on Fridays for the rest of the semester.
Mercyhurst staff have been switching up their normal formal attire to a more causal blue jean. “Jeans for a Cause” has been a tradition at both Mercyhurst campuses since 2015.

They have donated $6,690 to several charities within the community.
These include ANNA Shelter, Mercy Center for Women, Mission 22 and Hospice of Metropolitan Erie.
This is just one way the staff can give back to the community.

“The Mercyhurst Staff Senate encourages all employees to wear jeans on Fridays and Mercyhurst spirit gear on top – we’ve dubbed this Jeans for a Cause. Every year, we choose two non-profit organizations to support via Jeans for a Cause,” Courtney Olevnik, director of annual giving, said.

Choosing an organization takes time and is a process within the Staff Senate.
“In order to choose our charity, the Staff Senate executive team each submit charities for consideration. Then, we send a survey to the entire Staff Senate group, over 250 members, and we leave it up to a vote,” Olevink said.

The participating staff will donate two dollars per week or 20 dollars for the semester.
“The money is collected by the Staff Senate executive team.” Olevnik said.

The Erie executive team is made up of Olvenik, Curtis Robinette, Jeremy Hewitt, Renee Wright and Matt Saniflippo.
The North East executive team is made up of Laurie Baker Courtney Phelps.

“Jeans for a Cause” is also happening at the Northeast campus. This is why there are two different non-profit organizations picked each year.
For the Erie campus, the Staff Senate board chose the Bloom Collaborative. Bloom Collaborative is a non-profit organization in Erie that uses art to help those with mental health illneses.

The North East campus is donating their money to North East Student Emergency Fund.
This non-profit benefits the students in North East.

North East has also considered donating to another organization around Christmas.
“Jeans for a Cause” is just another way, Mercyhurst practices their core values.

The staff memebers are soldifying everything the university stands for. By being socially merciful and globally aware.
Their donations are compassionate and are helping those who may not be as fortunate as them and are properly representing Mercyhurst.

Now whenever there is a staff member in jeans on Fridays, students will know they are helping those in need. They are giving back to the community.

Way to go,Staff!