Fashion department hosts ‘Fall Back into Fashion’

Sarah Klein, Staff writer

It’s once again Autumn, and for Fashion Merchandising students taking the Visual Merchandising class at Mercyhurst this means
that it’s time for the annual Fall Back into Fashion event. Fall Back into Fashion is scheduled for Oct. 24 from 6 p.m– 7:30
p.m. at Lollie Boutique in the Colony Plaza.

The Visual Merchandising students will be displaying their projects (displays, often found in store windows, that help advertise for retail goods) for voting, and there will be raffle baskets from local vendors as well as refreshments.

In addition, there will be a discount on all purchases made at Lollie during the event. This event is completely organized by the Visual Merchandising students, under the supervision of a Project Manager chosen by the students, and their Professor, Erin Magorien.

Fall Back into Fashion gives the students real-world experience and allows them to show off what they have been learning in a fun
and public setting. It also allows the Mercyhurst community and greater Erie community to get involved and get a glimpse into the Fashion Department’s work.
“Working on displays in a physical store setting allows us to apply the skills we learned about in class all semester long as well as showcase our creativity to the public,” said Junior Fashion Merchandising major, Chloe Speranza, who also designed this year’s Fall Back into Fashion t-shirts.
The annual t-shirts started as a way for the students to differentiate themselves the night of the event. However, they now also serve as a fundraiser and are sold to the Mercyhurst community.

The Visual Merchandising class voted on Chloe Speranza’s design ideas, and then fellow Junior Fashion Merchandising Major, Katy Vaccariello, helped decide on logistics, such as vendor, purchase information and price.
“It was a unique project and event that allowed everyone to be involved,” said Junior Fashion Merchandising major Casey Phillips who participated in the Visual Merchandising class last year.

“I enjoyed being a part of a team creation of a window display.”So head out to Lollie on Oct. 24 and check it out!