Career Development hosts grad school fair

Erin Almeter, Staff writer

On Oct. 16th, Mercyhurst’s Career Development Center put on a Graduate School Fair in the Mercy Heritage Room from noon until 3 p.m. Students were able to come and talk to graduate school representatives about their future educational options. A wide range of colleges and volunteer organizations were in attendance for students.

There was Canisius College, Carlow University, Clarion University, D’Youville College, Edinboro University, Gannon University, John Carroll University as well as Kelly Educational Staffing, Malone University, Mercy Volunteer Corps, Mercyhurst University, National Air and Space Intelligence Center and Navy Officer Programs Buffalo.

Additionally, Penn State Behrend, Point Park University, Syracuse University, Institute of World Politics, University of Findlay and University of Pittsburgh were also invited to present to students. With the colleges, there was a wide range of programs as well.

They ranged from Public Health, Information Studies, Nursing, Education, Occupational Therapy and Business among many more. Students that attended gained valuable information and help with figuring out what their future plans will or could be. An additional benefit from attending was receiving many free gifts from the graduate schools such as water bottles, pens and lip balm.

Students that attended also were put in raffle to win a $50 bookstore gift card. Heather Balas, Director of the Career Development Center, said she was grateful for all the students that made the event a success.

The students’ attendance to the fair was very impressive and seemed to show that they were invested in their futures, Balas said. “The recruiters that attended were happy with the turnout from Mercyhurst students as well,” said Balas. If students need additional help, the Career Development Center welcomes everyone to come and ask questions. They are located on the first floor of Egan Hall. They also are encouraging everyone to create a Handshake account where there are even more resources available.