Bock: Course irks

Emilie Bock, Staff writer

While I do believe that the ethics course is a relevant and important part of the REACH curriculum, there could be positive changes made to it.

First of all, I think there should be more focus on class discussions rather than on papers, quizzes and tests.

If you ask me, it would be better to get rid of all grading except participation, based on classroom discussions.

This could make it harder for professors to grade each individual.

However, it would force the students to attend class and actively participate in the discussions, which is a great skill to have.

Students would then be prepared for life beyond the gates knowing how to argue, persuade and express themselves.

Meanwhile, students would still learn about ethical issues and it would make them reflect on what their beliefs are.

Second, smaller classes would give each student more time to participate.

To get the most out of a course like this, I think it would be ideal.

Third, being able to pass/fail the class makes it easier for students to put in less effort, making the class seem meaningless.

If it was not possible to pass/fail the course, people would put in more effort and by the end feel like it was a REACH course worth their time.

Overall, Capstone Ethics could be an interesting class to take.

As of right now, there are a lot of ways to get through the course without putting in effort.

This has led it to be viewed as an unnecessary class that just takes up time and space in an already busy last year.