Parking at Mercyhurst

Gianluca Ianiro, Staff Writer

I think everyone can remember that special day in life when a person really begins to leave their protective nest.

I am talking, of course, of the day when you finally get your driver’s license.

Most of us know the incredibly convoluted process of learning to drive and then getting your license.

The weeks of monotonous research, hitting barrels with bumpers and having experienced motorists yell at you to teach you how to use windshield wipers, all of it culminating that glorious day when you finally have a piece of plastic with a picture of your face on it.

The next step is to find a vehicle that has a slightly inappropriate car parts to duct tape ratio to call your own.

Your first car will not be anything fancy, but it will still be yours.

That hunk of rusted junk will become your baby as you zip up and down the streets with your new car.

Most people have a fond attachment to their first car.

I, for instance, love my brand new 2002 Chevy Trailblazer.

Unfortunately, I cannot fit it in my classrooms, so I must abandon it for the day alone on the side of the road.

Luckily, I go to a university that provides ample space for my baby.

So, I can feel safe earning my degree knowing that it’s fine nearby.

Some people might read that last sentence and think I am speaking sarcastically, but I assure you I am not.

The facts are that Mercyhurst provides a ton of student parking at a ridiculously low rate when compared to other institutions or parking facilities.

There is also a lot of street parking close to Mercyhurst’s campus.

Some might argue the opposite of my position, that Mercyhurst has garbage parking.

I’ve even heard some students wish that our parking policies were closer to that of other universities.

But let me tell the doubters that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

I am a transfer student, for those who don’t know.

So I can attest that, at my previous university, parking was very expensive and an absolute disaster.

Students, believe it or not, had to walk entire blocks to get to class.

The buildings were so spread across campus that students had to either walk the 10 to 15-minute walks or try and fight for a parking spot closer to their destination.

Compared to that, Mercyhurst’s parking is a lot better, despite whatever flaws it may have.

My advice for people concerned about parking is simple.

Buy a pass, and get to the lot early.

And if you have to park in the street, don’t be afraid to get your walk on.