Hurst gears up for a COVID-friendly and fun filled St. Patrick’s Day

Rebecca Dunphy, News editor

As an Irish Catholic institution, St. Patrick’s Day has always been a beloved holiday for Lakers, and this year was no exception. Numerous campus organizations found ways to continue festivities, while still abiding by social distancing guidelines.

Parkhurst got into the holiday spirit with a number of specials at each dining location. At the Anchor Express, hand-crafted beverages were being served up, such as the Shamrock Frappuccino, Irish Peruvian mocha, and Irish cream latte. Over at the Anchor Express, Irish cream lattes and the Blarney Stone Frappuccinos were the specials of the week. These drinks pair perfectly with an assortment of St Patrick’s Day-themed desserts and baked goods, available at both locations. Those looking for a different type of beverage could head over to the Roost for the March Mock-tail, the Luke’s Lucky Charm, made up of apple juice, cranberry juice, green coloring and a lime wedge. For guests over 21, the Emerald Isle was this week’s drink special. Other specials included a free churro shooter with the purchase of any Reuben meal and Reuben loaded potato skins.

As for the Grotto Commons, lunch offerings such as Irish style Guinness stew, champ, Irish sour-dough bread, corned beef cheesesteak, root vegetables and Dublin pasta gave diners a taste of Irish culture. Similar dishes could be found at the 501 Grille with braised Irish bangers, Guinness stout gravy and classic Reubens on the menu.

Besides these dining specials, Irish Club and MSG helped Lak-ers get in the spirit with events throughout the day.

“Since we go to an Irish Catholic school, St. Patrick’s Day is a pretty important holiday to us. Due to the restrictions still in place around many of our beloved holidays, we decided to have a pop-up to spark some of that Laker Pride around campus,” said senator Carissa Budday. “Since this year is different, students should come to meet us for a fun surprise and to feel the joy of St. Patrick’s Day.”

At this pop-up event, students could stop by to get a green car-nation and to make a Celtic knot craft, an ode to an important Irish cultural tradition. The Spirit Committee members were stationed at dining locations throughout campus to help spread cheer. Luke the Laker also made an appearance.

“We [were] so excited to be able to put this event on and [could] not wait to see everyone’s masked and smiling face,” Budday said.

On March 17 the Irish Club teamed up with the History Club to host an Irish Trivia night via Zoom. The fun does not stop there, as Irish Club is hosting an in-person meeting on March 18 where members will be watching the documentary “St. Patrick: Apostle of Ireland.” Although St. Patrick’s Day is a commonly celebrated holiday in the United States, many Americans do not know the history of St. Patrick’s Day or why it has such cultural importance. Using a documentary and information from board members, the club hopes to relay this important info to anyone who wants to learn more. Those who attend will also be enjoying individually packaged beverages and snacks while watching the film.

“I think it is important for us to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day because it allows for us to celebrate Irish heritage and culture,” said Irish Club president and senior Intelligence Studies major, Michelle Benedetti. “As a school that has such close ties to Ireland, I think it is important that we make such a big deal of this day to show how proud we are of where we and the Sisters came from.”The celebration of St. Patrick’s Day concludes on March 19 at 8 p.m. with MAC/ SAC at a St. Patrick’s Day event. Join trivia on Zoom to show off your Irish trivia skills and earn prizes up to $200. The programmers hope to see you there! Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Lakers!