RSCO Feature: Lakers Abroad Club

RSCO Feature: Lakers Abroad Club

Hailey Steidle, Staff writer

A new club has hit the Mercyhurst campus with a bang as more students who want to spend time abroad are looking to join the Lakers Abroad Club. The Lakers Abroad Club was founded this past semester in hopes of allowing members to explore cultures outside of their own and learn more about the opportunities that are available to them when it comes to studying abroad. The immersive experiences that this club is setting up allow for any individual on campus to gain an understanding of different areas of the world. The clubs members have hopes of allowing students to gain a better understanding of where they may want to travel one day as well as sharing any experiences they have had abroad with others who may want to learn more.
The club is sure to grow both in size and in its reputation across our campus in the coming semesters as its executive board hopes to hold a series of events that many students across our campus can take part in. Activities such as talks from international students and professors, multicultural nights, and language exchange events are being planned in hopes of allowing students to experience new cultures that they may have never been able to experience before without going abroad. By allowing individuals who have had the ability to travel abroad speak and interact with those who may not have the ability or who haven’t gotten the chance yet, allows for others to learn about cultures other than their own just be listening to those around them.
A quick talk with the clubs’ founder, Gabrielle Steppic, showed just how open they are to including new members. There was a large emphasis placed on how anyone is welcome to join the current members in upcoming events next semester. Any student interested in exploring new cultures, learning new languages, meeting individuals from other countries and cultures, and traveling abroad in any capacity whether for school or leisure are the perfect match for what this club has to offer. The club itself is not just for students who will or currently want to go abroad at some point. However, students who may be interested in spending any period of time outside of the United States whether its for schooling or not, would greatly benefit from experiencing what this club has to offer.
Any students who may be looking for a new club to participate in or even just events to attend next semester may want to take some time and give the Lakers Abroad Club a try. You may shock yourself with the amount you learn from those around you who are sharing their experiences with others, and you may even share your own experiences with others who may not be able to experience it.